A Bot Prevention Method

Just been brainstorming with my friend on things we think that could prevent bots being such an issue in this game, we’re not professionals of course and don’t have any insight but I believe a method similar to this could almost fix it but firstly we gotta find out the reason they still work so here’s a few points I believe that keep them working;

• Selling Life Skill loot.

• Sale of T1/T2 mats via Chaos Dungeon

• Buying over priced items on the AH to transfer the gold.

Other issues seem to be fixed such as gold generation through rapport etc, so the only plausible way I can see them making gold is through the AH now, which is most likely how they’re also transferred the gold so with that being said, the clear issue is bots being able to use the AH.

To prevent them doing so but allowing players to be able to I believe you should lock the AH behind some sort of Welcome Challenge/Achievement. My personal opinion would be to lock it behind completion of the T2 tower, this tower is genuinely quite difficult (Especially wave 50) and I fail to see how a char without decent gear/engravings could conceivably complete it especially via a script.

Issues with this are obvious, real players under T2 cannot use the AH which I believe is fine? If you make this a thing and link the achievement thing to account and alts you create can still use it and for first play through players, I personally did not use the AH till buying gear in T3, T2 and lower still have access to Islands and Mari’s shop but again, this method is bound to have flaws but I was curious to hear other opinions on ways to ‘fix’ the bot issues?

TLDR: Lock AH behind T2 tower completion and make that the completion Account-wide.

2 Likes

Bots are way above T3, they need to nerf the number of mats you can get from T3 infinite chaos turn in NPC.

No sane human being is willing to sit in t3 chaos to scrap small amounts of mats as the price goes up exponentially. But these chinese botters are sitting in their 24/7, farming and selling those tradeable mats.

Either make those mats bound to roster, or lower the number of possible trade in down to 10 or so.

This will slow down their effort a bit so AGS has more time to gather their peebrain to work on a solution.

4 Likes

I keep seeing people say this, i’ve yet to see a single bot in T3 even across multiple streamers i’ve only seen 1 multi-boxer, also the price of Fish and other life skills are dropping incredibly fast. If there are many bots in T3 I would love to see a char without any correct combat stats and Engravings beat T2 tower boss with a script especially as bosses in this game don’t do the exact same attack patterns.

I do agree with potentially making infinite chaos dungeon mats roster-bound also though, wouldn’t mind seeing that changed.

They are doing infinite chaos dungeon on T3 too.

And do you believe that they could easily complete T2 tower ? In the method I shared, they could do that all they want but wouldn’t be able to sell the mats anyways? And if they could beat T2 tower consistently then make infinite chaos dungeon mats roster-bound.
Secondly, I have still yet to see loads of bots infinitely running them compared to the hundreds i’ve seen fishing and doing dungeon in T2.

i am waiting for bots carring me in argos. they are evolving.

jokes beside, maybe they can put a captcha codes popping up randomly on screen to enter for humans regularly

I can see that working partially too, but at the expense of creating friction with the player base, I did think that they could do a 1 time captcha per day when you open the AH though.

I think the healthy playerbase would be delighted to type some shit in every hour or so while doing braindead content (like inf chaos) if it will help the cause of stopping bots.

Maybe that is true, but do you believe this is the best method ?

Better than what they’re doing (nothing).

To get rid of bots entirely, it’s going to be a long battle. But at the rate of bots going out of control right now, it’s going to cause massive damage to the game.

It’s sad to say this but AGS clearly does not have the ability to combat this issue, immediate action to at least slow down these bots I feel is a must.

It is sad to see the sudden influx after the 14 day period to get trusted on Steam but I do have to disagree with AGS being the issue, as Publishers I don’t think they’re equipped or capable with dealing with them aside from maybe banning players that get reported? SG are the devs and they’re the ones who at the end of the day, need to introduce some sort of system to prevent it which they won’t have had practice in due to KR not having the issue.

1 Like

You will do more damage to the player base than the bots with a system like that. I used the AH a lot when I was in T2 and that would be completely game breaking to require T2 Tower to be completed. I’m ilvl 1345 going at my own pace and I still haven’t felt like finishing the T2 tower yet so that would mean I’d be treated like a bot lol.

Some long term solutions for Smilegate /AGS:

• Implement bot tracking through backend detection. I.e. some machine learning to detect unnatural behavior like consistently accurate mouse clicks with some threshold for some random jitter the bots probably have incorporated or packet injection, etc. This obviously will take a lot of time but is something other games do (Runescape comes to mind).
  • They could try to scrap Easy Anti-Cheat and build their own, even going as far as Riot Games’s “Vanguard” that they use for Valorant to hook into the computer on the bios level.

Some short term solutions might include:

• Captcha idea is honestly not that bad.
  • Mobile number verification could slow them down but there might be a large amount of players where this could be a problem.
  • Station mods in major cities and on the sea to manually insta-ban bots on sight in area chat.
2 Likes

For sure the T2 tower lock would be an issue, as I said it was a quick thought but I am surprised to hear a 1345 not finished the T2 tower as it gives a greater skill point potion but each to their own.

• Implement bot tracking through backend detection. I.e. some machine learning to detect unnatural behavior like consistently accurate mouse clicks with some threshold for some random jitter the bots probably have incorporated or packet injection, etc. This obviously will take a lot of time but is something other games do (Runescape comes to mind).
  • They could try to scrap Easy Anti-Cheat and build their own, even going as far as Riot Games’s “Vanguard” that they use for Valorant to hook into the computer on the bios level.

This is an idea for sure but the cost and time to create one may make it unfeasible at least in the short term but I would appreciate if they went in this direction but would need some short term fix for sure.

• Captcha idea is honestly not that bad.

Yea I could see that being alright as a band aid fix for now but hopefully not needed in the long term.

• Mobile number verification could slow them down but there might be a large amount of players where this could be a problem.

Issue with this is that you can buy phone numbers for dirt cheap online so I can’t imagine it being that useful, to add, people may feel that it could be seen as intrusive.

• Station mods in major cities and on the sea to manually insta-ban bots on sight in area chat.

I believe a CM has replied to this before (Forgot the name but pretty sure it wasn’t Roxx), this is not feasible, to do a TLDR of their post, amount of people needed as you’d have to rotate every 8 hours you would need 3 people per day per server, per region.
Even then though, for example fish is tanking yet i’m seeing next to 0 messages per day on my server so it for sure wouldn’t fix the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional context on a CM’s comment on the stationing player idea.

And yeah that’s true that not every bot will be posting in area chat. Don’t know why I didn’t consider that.

Looks like a captcha is our best idea from this thread then for a short term solution, at least IMO.

Yep, and also if you think layers/channels to visually catch bots would be even worse. I would love to see if a captcha method would actually effect bots, not against that idea.

Oh yeah definitely not visually that would be very inefficient. I just meant to monitor area chats but the personnel problem you detailed was a good point. Unless they made a volunteer system to help out. But I think the bots in area chat get banned within 10 mins of a report anyway IIRC so maybe not needed.

I hope that they’re also banning people who are obviously receiving the laundered gold through AH. It also throws off market analysis a bit when you sort by most expensive which is a bit annoying but definitely just a minor gripe.

1 Like

for those suggesting captcha, i would love that if there was any game ever that when they added captchas it had any effect on bots at all.

tbh i think bots are better at solving captchas than me

2 Likes

I’ve seen other similar games combat bots by implementing a captcha system to access the AH, that needs to be re-entered every hour. Is it ideal? Not really, but at least they’d have to access the AH manually every so often. Captcha is also annoying as hell. Alternatively there could be a simple confirmation button that requires you click in a specific spot in a random quadrant of the screen on every trade. That’d be pretty simple to implement.

Main problem is that they can also transfer gold directly through the mail system. I have no idea how they’re combatting this as I’m sure that RMTers are also doing this, which is bad for LoA because they’re direct competition.

Imagine… the main concern for the company isn’t the failing economy of their game or player satisfaction but that other competitors are making more money by offering better prices with less conversion steps.

What the actual fuck bro

Lots of T3 people decide not to touch the T2 tower with a ten-foot pole because it’s just so poorly designed it’s not worth the extra skill points before you’ve exhausted the other SP sources (6 omnium stars, 12 giant hearts…)

i like the locking behind fatespire completion if they gave some love to bards in t2 tower.
i’ve completed t1-2 tower on 4 characters now, most at exact ilvl with scuffed engravings so i’m sure if someone really wanted to clear it to access ah it’d not be that bad.