About Business Model

Hum, even better for free-to-play Sure I prefer other ways to boost a character to lvl 50 other than just buy ROYAL CRYSTALS, like free-to-play ways, but sure, this is not a gate to let the two ways to boost a character be set, like who’s don’t have enough gold and prefer to pay with royal crystals and people who will just boost if have a free-to-play model.

I’d heard talks of the P2W nature of the current version. When I saw that they intended to “more closely align” Lost Ark “with Western norms and player expectations,” I was very pleased. Time will tell, but I am pleased with the shift in direction.

True! The best thing about it imo are that 1) It shows that Amazon Games is actually improving the experience specifically for western players and they are not just talking about doing it, they are actually doing it and 2) This gives us an idea about what kind of changes can be made. This way we know what kind of stuff is possible for future request/discussions/suggestions! Of course more and other stuff could also be changed, I’m sure of it. What I’m trying to say is that for a starting point I think this is pretty good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I’m in the Beta, and I gave my stronghold a placeholder name through the quest, not realizing that you have to have 100 gold to change it. I’m too early in the game to have 100 gold! Changing stronghold name should be possible using multiple currencies, or at least enable some sort of currency exchange to gold in the Beta.

I would be happy if the game was 100% as Korean version.

Well, one important cash shop item for me is the powerpass, so I can boost couple alts … and here comes the problem :smiley: . Judging by the eastern pricing, it is likely the powerpass will be some 50 - 60 USD which is insane, given you can level up alt over a weekend without even trying too hard afaik. One could argue it costs similar money in other games, but it also typically takes longer to level up in those games. Here I would be paying about 5 USD per hour skipped, which is just too much. So just giving the publisher a heads up, make it 30 USD maximum and it will sell, make it 60 USD and … lel, no thank you :smiley:. I’m not paying 120 USD to have two extra characters :smiley: . Just to give you a sample math. If it’s 60 USD, I’ll buy 0, if it’s 30 USD I will prolly buy 1 - 2, if it’s 25 USD, I’ll prolly buy 2 - 3, because it simply feels more worth the money. I’m kind of a whale, but nobody is THAT stupid :smiley:

In JP server it’s 60 USD for 4-5 continents all the way to ilvl1302 Papunika which would take weeks of work to level up, I would gladly pay even 100USD to save weeks of work

But we are not talking saving weeks of work, we are talking saving 2 days of work, we won’t have the same amount of content on release. If you want to pay 60 bucks to skip weekend worth of leveling, go for it. 99.95% of people won’t though and I assume this is for profit operation, so it should prolly be taken into account :smiley: . Obviously, if at some point in the future the level cap and required entry level ilevel for current end game content increases, new version of powerpass can release and it can cost more, to reflect more time saved. But 60 bucks on release? That’s flushing money down the toilet.

I like the store with one exception - Mari’s Secret Store. They should remove it. Aura is fine and not OP and the Aura should support the game and its creators and I whould pay it every month. Skins are nice to have and will give enought extra money to them. The Mari’s Secret Store with huge Pay to Progress things are a bit to money-horny and destroys the game in my opinion. Change my mind

Mari’s secret shop at the moment only offers a very little quantity of materials compared to those you can earn in game and you need to progess. People at the end game know this.

They already increased the time needed for a rotation up to 72Hours (compared to 16hours in korea)

It’s just an other way to support the game and go an extra mile, because the advantages are neglectible. (at this moment)

I can understand your arguments, but

first:
if its neglectible - why they do it?

second:
if you are a new player and look in the Store, you will get deterred.

As a #1 Hater of the “Burnout Leveling Up Process” (my name of the system) the number one item I need is PowerPass too.

But I think and should have a cost of $10,00 USD to Vern, and in the future, you can increase the price for the other continents like is now in RU Version, and when we get there, the $50,00 sound reasonable for Papunika 1302 Gear Level or ilvl if you prefer, if this price of $50,00 become true in Vern, I will never touch one of them, and I will still playing with just one char because the Burnout level… kill my mood and I will be left without options to skip it because the overprice cost of the item in my opinion.

Agreed. I’m just little worried they might follow example of some other MMOs, where boosts tend to be very pricey, but those as I pointed out, usually have much longer leveling. Not to mention having alts is considered normal part of the game in Lost Ark, it is less optional than in some other games. I’m fine with leveling my first character myself, seeing the world and all, should be fun. I doubt it’s as much fun the second time though, I’m virtually certain I would hate to do it 3 or more times :D. So I hope they will start with much lower price compared to WoW for example, but it is fair to increase whenever you are skipping way more content, like in case of the Papunika powerpass.

I also tried the RU version since and the boost prices are very good there. There is no way in hell we’re getting Vern for 300 RUB == 4 USD in the west though, because the popular believe is, that we are so much more wealthy right … . Except the median wage in my country is exact same as median wage in Russia (EU btw), so it’s not like we can actually pay 10 times more, “west” is not just US of A :smiley:

EDIT: actually I’m too lazy to re-check, but maybe it was 500 RUB? That’s still just 6 bucks and 73 cents though :smiley:

1 Like

Actually whenever I already checked the median wages of Russia and my country, I also checked USA. Surprisingly the median wage in USA is just 2 times more, so if we only take one of the wealthiest countries in the west into account (which is still kind of a d*** move), the Vern pass should be just 13 USD, give or take. So let’s see how greedy Amazon gets here :smiley:

People are too easily baited by Mari’s shop thinking that’s where P2W is, reality it’s not even scratching the surface with its small amount of resources.

The biggest issue with store in RU where I play is ability to turn $$ into gold with some intermediate steps - this in return allows you to purchase select choicest gear, all mats you ever need for upgrades, consumables and more.

From what I read about this business model - I see them hush hushing this tidbit very well and for a good reason. They made some unimportant changes to Beatrice Blessing and Pets, but that’s just gravy - the meat is in $$ to gold via shop - not a peep about that one.

I’m not even talking about shop potentially holding cards and jewels, like in RU, which are a major power boost by themselves for the people who whale.

Like frankly, they could have just removed Mari’s Shop altogether and the game would still be a massive gacha that will generate insane $$ from micros - I’m not even sure why they bother with that bait.

If I get your point, this is double-edged sword though. I could get gold by buying skins and selling them on the player market if I’m not wrong. So that’s pretty easy conversion of cash into gold and then gold into mats. The problem is, that if you make all skins account bound, they will be completely exclusive to people who spend cash, it would no longer be possible for F2P player to get them. And that somehow feels even worse, because why do I even care really, that someone did this? They will get to the most recent content faster … do I care? I believe P2W can pretty much exclusively manifest in a game that has some sort of competition and paying makes you win that competition, hence it’s P2W. But gear won’t matter at all in competitive PvP and PvE is not a competition, so where is the P2W?

That’s my belief too. WoW is technically P2W game, Blizzard literally sells gold to people (you buy WoW token and sell it for gold on market, the UI is even showing you real time how much gold it’s worth at the moment … :smiley: ) and you can buy BOE gear from latest mythic raid (or heroic before mythic launch). And unlike in Lost Ark, that gear even matters in competitive PvP and PvE is also competitive - you have your Mythic Dung competitions and races to World First etc. You can’t buy every single item that you need, but you can give yourself pretty serious boost. It’s pretty expensive though, you don’t get all that much gold for your buck … and that’s it. Literaly end of story. The amount of people who actually do it, even though it’s technically possible, is so little that it just doesn’t matter.

You can earn gold ingame while playing AND can swipe some more on top of it.

Net gain - more power, easier carry runs for even more gold, more gear to access and defeat hardest raids.

It all compounds. It’s a snowball - selling carry runs is a thing both in KR and RU and people who swipe boost themselves in the beginning end up with much more gold simply due to that.

Yep, exact same thing as WoW. The items you cannot buy, you can get by paying for carry runs. But as pointed out, in WoW you can actually use that gear to “win”, which makes it more pay to win, although nobody really claims it has a huge pay to win problem. In Lost Ark, I’m still waiting for you to elaborate, what is it that I’m winning, by getting higher GS faster? :smiley: In which competitive content will I beat other players by having higher GS by swiping?

Yes, but I’m trying to understand. You’re defending one piece of shit practice by saying “look that company that was about to give CEO 200 million USD, while firing CSR employees and having higher ups harassing women at workplace and melts down right now does it too”?

I’m not sure that’s something in Lost Ark’s model favor there.