An Alternative to the Alternate Character System - More Raid Difficulty Scaling Making High Level Mains Viable

Post moved. See below.

they let you go way higher than you need for the raid, because they know people will

they don’t care if you take a break either since they already got your money

basically, if you push because you want to flaunt that you’ve pushed you can do so. i really don’t understand what your complaint is about that

as far as content for a single character player i doubt they will do anything for you. since playing more characters is optimal, more people do it. they aren’t going to create systems that cater to a minority of players at this point in the game

it’s already set in stone

My complaint is simply that I would like to be able to play on a single character that’s 1500+ pushing towards 1575 rather than parking at 1500 and artificially circumventing the soft cap (which effectively makes it pointless) by pushing 5+ different characters to 1460 each instead, which ends up achieving more than someone who has one character that’s 1500+. Which doesn’t make sense to me, imo. I have to stop playing one char and play multiple different characters all to the max level for the content level cap to maximize what the game is willing to allow me.

And what you say about catering to the minority of players… you are missing the fact that these people that push with many alts are the same as I am except they know they cannot play one character only because the game won’t let them so they do it on many. I am not the minority if you count those that do that instead. I just chose to ignore that limitation and play the way I feel I wanna play.

And those that do get to flaunt that they’ve pushed to the high-level on all their alts the same as I only have one character that’s 1500+, they merely do it in a round-about way, showing their roster selection menu.

I don’t know if you have played from the beginning, the FOMO and rage was insane when Argos was first released and only a fraction of the playerbase could do the abyss raid, and even fewer p3.

I can ‘kinda’ understand where you’re coming from, in other games I’m also a “1 main char” type and not spreading time and resources across multiple alts.
But Lost Ark is not a game like that, and having another difficulty will only raise the bar for main char + alts in the future, because people want to play the highest content, regardless if they have alts or focus on one char only. And having a requirement of 1550 would only cause chaos and fomo guys spamming the forums.

To compare it with another game, Lost Ark is not like Civ5 where you can easily dominate the world with one city, it is more like Civ6 where you are incentivised and encouraged to found multiple cities and spread your influence.

In my opinion, the Roster play is also related to the various lockouts, dailies and weeklies, if you play only one character, you are pretty much done after a short time with things to do: a few chaos dungeons and guardian raid, as well as 3 raids for the week - and done. Adding a higher difficulty won’t change this, you won’t get “more” to do, but it is “harder” to do it, to even reach the requirements

There is no point in pushing only one character to the maximum, unless you want to overgear everything and chill until the next content update

For example I have parked my main at 1490, because there is no point in going further, and have been honing my alts.
If you add a new, higher difficulty, then I would hone up to that point and then spread out to my alts.
But if the new difficulty bar is so high, that normal people can’t reach it even without spending resources for their alts but solely feeding their main, it would be a whale (and hardcore) exclusive content, which won’t come.

Fundamentally, Lost Ark is meant to be played with multiple characters if you want to get the most out of your roster.

What you don’t understand about this is the fact that this would not give anything more than additional available materials that would scale the same as if someone were to level up multiple alts and do many hard mode instances rather than a single higher difficulty beyond hard mode. The difference between this and what you’re referring to with the Argos fomo is with these content raid releases they allow access to a whole new tier of items and gear that gives unique materials that that raid gives. These additional difficulties are a mere means to scale the rewards that are already given at Normal and Hard modes now, but just gives further scaling beyond to the hard cap of 1575.

They would not give any new materials that allow you to craft higher tier gear like relics, etc. Which would only be given in subsequent raid releases like Kakul-Saydon, and Brelshaza… these difficulties are purely for those that want to push the extra mile beyond and be able to keep up with those that hit the soft cap and park their mains at that level then level up a dozen alts all the to max difficulty available.

If that makes any sense at all to you…

What I’m stressing that I feel many of you aren’t understanding is that this doesn’t change fundamentally what people are doing already, it merely gives them an alternative to the same means, which is that currently players are already circumventing the 1500 soft cap by just leveling 5+ alts to 1460 which is like having one 1550+ character, except every single alt can get the rewards of the raid at the 1460 hard difficulty. Simply by having additional difficulties that just scale the existing rewards would allow players to not have to level additional alts to circumvent the soft cap, which is inevitable.

And if you would just briefly entertain the idea for a minute, so let’s say right now, if you have one main parked at 1500, and then 5 alts at 1460, which many of my peers do already, btw, so they are equal to being a whale just as much as I am… what they get is 5x additional rewards on top of their 1500, so let’s say they get 5000g on their 1500, then 5k x 5 more, that = 30k total right? What I am merely suggesting, essentially, which is by no means “tailoring to whales” or further making more exclusive and elite content, you could have someone who instead of having 5x 1460 characters, and say they have a single 1550 character instead. You could just allow them to run a higher difficulty, say Inferno (not the one we know), and it would let’s say, increase the gold reward to 20k… and that would mean it wouldn’t even be better than the 30k you get instead. Do you see where I am coming from? It’s merely a viability standpoint and choice for players that wish to play a different way. And since it does take more work to run every instance of the 1460 characters on hard mode instead of a single 1550 inferno mode, you balance it as such to give the 20k.

The hard and more advanced raids aren’t even released. Kakul is the first advanced raid. You know that you even with 1531 ilvl you will recieve tons of damage, right?

Next thing is… It is PvE… You learn that stuff, in that time when you are learning, it is harder and then it gets easy…

If you search for more challenging stuff, just run on ilvl with less engravings.

so you’re telling me instead of overgearing all the content available for the next year of release, you want the ability to overgear the content for the next 2 years

i don’t know how much sympathy i should have for a crazy person

That won’t be even possible… exception you swipe hardcore for shards

So instead of overgearing, simply make 10 alts that are all 1460 instead. That is what you’re advocating. Just because you can’t reach that high level of being “overgeared” doesn’t mean others aren’t well-beyond being overgeared if they want to but instead just level up a bunch of alts all to the max difficulty available to overcharge their rewards and makes no difference to being overgeared but they get the benefit out of it.

I am being punished for doing such whereas you are rewarded for having tons of alts maxed level with completely circumvents the soft cap anyway.

the game is already designed to reward this behavior

it’s not designed to unlock more levels for your single character, seeing as the next tier of raids use different materials

no one is punishing you except for yourself, you know you’re playing the game wrong and instead of playing it right you want to continue playing it wrong and have the devs change the whole game to accommodate you

Yup, of course, “I’m just playing the game wrong.”

My suggestion would not change the fact that alts would be still viable but gives the option of not, which doesn’t harm anyone currently.

Keep convincing yourself and the world that this is “acceptable” behavior, merely brainwashing and conditioning set upon you.

And of course, I’m not allowed to give my take and suggestion. Typical.

I respectfully beg to differ. Given that you must understand the mechanics of the current meta at play, you cannot realistic stop any whale from getting ahead and circumventing the soft cap at 1500. What you have to realize is no matter what, they will reach the maximum optimal level on one character, then move on top leveling as many alt characters to max as well, which arguably, actually makes them eventually outpace a more “moderate” whale if you will, that actually just wants to focus on playing the content for what it is and on a single “overgeared” character that you believe shouldn’t be allowed to benefit from such.

This is fundamentally wrong. It actually makes the situation worse, if you actually think about it. Gigawhale sweaty players will simply out-level everyone else in their counterpart, by doing so through alts instead of playing one character.

If you would just briefly entertain the idea for a minute, so let’s say right now, if you have one main parked at 1500, and then 5 alts at 1460, which many of my peers do already, btw, so they are equal to being a whale just as much as I am… what they get is 5x additional rewards on top of their 1500, so let’s say they get 5000g on their 1500, then 5k x 5 more, that = 30k total right? What I am merely suggesting, essentially, which is by no means “tailoring to whales” or further making more exclusive and elite content, you could have someone who instead of having 5x 1460 characters, and say they have a single 1550 character instead. You could just allow them to run a higher difficulty, say Inferno (not the one we know), and it would let’s say, increase the gold reward to 20k… and that would mean it wouldn’t even be better than the 30k you get instead. Do you see where I am coming from? It’s merely a viability standpoint and choice for players that wish to play a different way. And since it does take more work to run every instance of the 1460 characters on hard mode instead of a single 1550 inferno mode, you balance it as such to give the 20k.

The new “meta” will then look like 1 main 1550 and 5x 1460 to get a total of 45k, which is better than 30k and 20k.

I see where you are coming from, but that’s just doesn’t fit with Lost Ark in my opinion. It’s not meant to play with only 1 high character, this game helps you in every corner to raise multiple alts.

You want to play a “team” sport alone, for example in football (or “soccer”) you want something like a new rule, so teams send 5 or even just 1 player onto the field and getting some benefit in return

This is where I suggested having the cap on the gold reward so that you cannot do this. Reread my post.

All you would have to do is make the gold rewards only reach a certain point and have the player choose what they character roster composition is, whether they want multiple alts or one high level character.

You are also discounting the fact that we are comparing the same input to output. If someone did in fact level a 1550 and then also 5x 1460 on top of that, that is NOT the same as someone with a single 1550 and someone else with a 1500 and 5x 1460. So that is of course putting in even more effort than the two equivalent examples.

It is a good suggestion but the probability of it happening is 0.

As I said before, Lost Ark is all about having a strong Roster, so I doubt they will develop or introduce anything related to having only one strong main character and focusing all resources to it

You know, playing and gearing up multiple characters also means more money to the devs

I understand the chances are slim to none. I am merely putting it out there because I feel that this is a reasonable idea and I feel many would agree on the fact that they alternatively would like to be simply able to play this way if they wanted to.

I would so far as to argue that this exact example is actually what they are purposely not doing for the sake of monetization and making it so whales can overcharge their progression to an extreme versus a “moderate whale” counterintuitive to what you think that it would actually make content more exclusive, it would actually be more inclusive instead.

Precisely, and I point this out in my OP. But I also do say it could be an oversight in the long-term.

Anyway, I’ve made my points and opinion clear, it’s just a matter of who else agrees or not. It does not matter to me.

How does this new difficulty require higher ilvl than the current raid difficulty set up.

Just Higher numbers? well … that doesn’t really do anything meaningful does it? It’s just remaking hardmore with bigger numbers that then get reduced to similar numbers via higher level gear. The boss gains 50% HP and you do 50% more damage, the effect is this new difficulty doesn’t do anything new.

New mechanics? That creates a different problem, you can see it in WoW with their LFR/Normal/Heroic/Mythic difficulties and the issues that arise from having too many difficulty tiers inside one raid grouping.

Now i could get all aboard just having a higher reward for raids on the character Designated your “main”. So people who only want to play one character get a bit more rewards, but so will people who play alts as well. Because that is the name of the game in lost ark. You don’t play a character you play a Roster of characters.

Adding a new difficulty wouldn’t really solve anything but would introduce a lot more problems that would need to be addressed.

It is perfectly fine to not want to play alts, but with that choice comes a drawback because the game is designed for alts. If you are unwilling to accept that drawback then it’s not really the games fault, as it was well known how these systems worked before the NA/EU version of the game was ever released.

You’re right, it’s not meaningful beyond the simple fact that it makes an alternate playstyle which some may prefer viable which may be more appealing to a large portion of the potential playerbase. Again, the simple difference is the scaling of rewards so that it can match that of those that run multiple alts all at hard difficulty which would add up to someone running a single character at a higher difficulty beyond hard.

I really can’t see any problems arise with that besides what I have addressed with the balancing of gold rewards with the reward cap adjusted to your “composition” of characters, just like they currently have the 6-character gold roster characters, it would be further applied to how many characters are running how high difficulties so that they all reach the same effective output for the input put in (aka resources to hone, etc).

There would be some arbitrary balancing of course so that alts still may be the most efficient as it’s also more costly to have to purchase additional engravings and accessories, etc. but overall it would simply make it viable for players whom don’t prefer playing alts so that they don’t completely fall off and far behind to their peers who simply “parked” their mains at the soft cap as opposed to pushing towards the hard cap and then maxed out a bunch of alts instead.

I simply cannot wrap my head around this notion that just because something was designed this way you should just accept it or if you don’t “too bad”, when there is realistically a way to introduce a feasible alternative that does not affect the current original design at all, and would offer much more diversity in terms of playerbase that might enjoy the game otherwise.

It’s this, imo, narrow way of thinking which prevents feedback and improvements to be made to an existing system without the need to completely and fundamentally revamp the game model “the way it’s designed”. Afaic, Lost Ark is Lost Ark, a roster of characters is fine but some flexibility doesn’t hurt and has been vocalized by more than a few to be a major downfall for the game’s extensibility.

except for the blatant pvp advantage, right?

no one is buying it, bro

give it up