It's time to fix honing

I’m just going to cut to the chase with recommendations, because the issues and complaints have been posted and repeated ad infinitum. A quick note, sounds like there was a leaked patch note posted to Imgur with a lot of nice looking buffs that I do hope we get eventually, though there’s room to argue THIS much is too much so early on. Still, hitting 1370 absolutely needs a flat buff now that Valtan is out, it’s horrendous, and alts should have a very easy time (no more than 3 weeks without feeding when doing every daily/weekly) hitting from Vern to 1302. That being said, here are my general recommendations:

• Reduce costs of Chaos Dungeon exchanges. For T3, the exponential increase in cost is prohibitive and punishing. As the sole “non-daily” method of gathering more materials, this absolutely needs to either be removed entirely or only go up by a flat amount per purchase. I shouldn’t need to do Chaos Dungeon for 16 straight hours just to purchase a measly 40 leapstones.

• Bonus chance mats (breaths, etc) should not reduce in bonus whatsoever and be flat per unit, or at very least the current rate of reduction should be cut in half. Alternatively, if they vastly increased Artisan’s Energy such that burning the maximum amount for 2 or 3 tries quickly hit the “pity” 100% chance, even at ilvl 14 >> 15, that would also work. They are entirely useless outside of tightening chances at lower ilvls during the honing run between milestones in their current state other than pissing you off when their pitiful +4% chance at 10% base fails to hone.

• Every single Chaos Gate map and all current iterations of non-tradable and Character bound materials need to become Roster bound, instead. In a game that promotes making alts as much as Lost Ark (account shared bank, stronghold, collectables, ships, roster buffs etc), this is an extremely bad implementation because I can’t feed a main in a meaningful way. It’s clear the game wants you to have 1340s for running gold, and as my main eventually proceeds into Valtan territory I’m going to want 1370 or 1400 on my alts to maximize weekly gains. The sheer intensity of how time gated this is because of how few mats there really are for us to get every day is atrociously counter-intuitive if LA is meant to be so alt friendly. Even with events, catching up merely to 1370 on my main (now that destroyer is out), despite me hording materials is taking me weeks.

• Ghost Ship should be a character weekly lock-out, not roster.

• More stronghold honing buffs. There should be additional levels depending on highest ilvl reached for your roster for each tier and each leg of tier 3. I’d propose three levels of buffs (at least for T3, given the leaked notes I linked earlier) so instead of the current 10% bonus it’s a 30% bonus at max. You gain an additional bonus for 1302 to 1370 at 1385 and at 1400, and 1415+ should work similarly. The Stronghold could even be a source of the proposed buffs to the Breathes et al from an earlier bullet point. If we get Artist as our next class as a means to help the support populations at end game we’re not going to get any notable increase in population for two to three months with the current iteration of honing, even with events, people hording mats, and using the Super Express Mission.

• Cost match downgrading for Great Honor Leapstones to Honor Leapstones. There are a lot of sources of Greats before even hitting 1370, and if other changes I propose are implemented this would play well into the “feeding the main/alt” concept.

• Exchanges for tiering up and tiering down materials. Having these unusable, worthless piles of ability stone powder, crystals, leapstones, shards, fusion material, and bonus mats is really dumb.

• Tier 3 Tower with final level at 1400, ideally actually balanced and reasonably cleared by every class (45+ in Fatespire is especially cancerous depending on your class, fast and ranged is the only way to complete these without popping a blood vessel because too much is NOT skill based, like the fear spammers and darkened floors so you can’t damage zones). Support classes should get a damage increase, as well, since they are gimped so badly (or just buff their PVE tripods)

2 Likes

Genius proposition. Better idea: they should just give everyone bis end game gear and sell subscription and skins. kek

5 Likes

He also wants a buff to infinite chaos. Sounds like a botter

2 Likes

Damn I think they should just put all content level accessible with item level of 1 instead that should solve most problem. Brilliant idea ! ! ! ! ! (sight focus)

This wasn’t a leak, this was AGS accidentally posting the wrong honing rates that the game was originally going to launch with. This image was from launch patch notes that got redacted shortly after releasing

1 Like

Oh, really? Weird… They’re a good idea in time, though. Tier I and II should definitely be quick and easy in the coming months for first time players, but alting to 1370 needs a buff for sure right now.

With the current events a brand new player can hit 50 and is already fast tracked to t3. Honing is fine.

People are still complaining about this even though f2p’s are clearing 1445 Valtan? Are you guys still somehow running out of silver with one character?

Fast track into T3 isn’t a problem. T3 itself isn’t… terrible, though 1370 arguably needs a flat buff right now. The problem is pushing a main and how little alts help. I hoarded so many mats and login and event boxes and I still am not 1370 on my destroyer. Granted, having played since launch I also have a nice nest egg of gold, so I’ll be buying leapstones (my current bottleneck) if necessary, but if they really want players at end-game (especially those that did like I did and are waiting on their “main” to release by hording) we need some tweaks. Feeding many of those improvements into the Stronghold system would be a great start, as would making non-tradable mats merely roster bound, instead. People that play often should be rewarded for their time, and I feel like the game decided to just arbitrarily put up this particular wall for alts despite just how alt-friendly the game is by design.

I’d be 1430+ if I wasn’t hoarding and waiting on Destroyer, and now it’s mindnumbingly slow to even hit 1370 again. It needs help. It doesn’t even need a whole lot. I’d think most of my ideas are fairly sensible and obvious.

End of story is,

If changes dont happen in KR first we won’t see anything happen here.

Especially as something as touchy subject of honing.

Kr server is quite happy with the way it is at the moment and i dont think it will end up changing for us either.

But there will be a new honing buff hitting us hopefully soon, with a ilvl 1460 you will be granted a honing buff for upto 1415

I mean, it’s not like they couldn’t make certain regional changes, I’m sure. Western audiences hold preference towards just getting loot drops and the like rather than RNG enhancement systems. BDO’s was enough to make me rage quit because it was mind numbing and frustrating. LA is at least not as bad, but damn is it just… still not fun, whatsoever. So, some actual market research they could find ways to make honing at least not suck (it’s lumbering UI doesn’t help, either, IDK what it is about asian MMOs having a dozen click minimum for every monotonous task it has)

Because people are concerned with themselves and their own experience.

Also, nobody cares if someone is free2play, it’s a meaningless term.

If you’re a whale, and you spend thousands of dollars on the game to stockpile gold and clear out the auction house, what are you doing in reality? You’re mitigating the possibility of poor RNG.

That’s it.

So the thing whales spend thousands of dollars to mitigate, can just as easily be bypassed by being lucky.

Which people seem to want to do everything in their power to ignore.

There’s a really prevalent attitude on this forum, and frankly in the community in general, where people seem to treat being lucky as if it’s skill. It’s really weird because what that then turns into is this notion that because someone else was lucky, then your bad luck is somehow your own fault.

It’s not the game. The systems. The lack of opportunities to mitigate the reality of those systems.

No.

It’s you, everything is your fault… somehow.

It’s madness.

1 Like

But have you considered the concerns to be unrealistic as well. Some of the posts on here suggesting they should get to Valtan asap. Want more spoon feeding for a ‘free’ to play game.

Bare in mind the amount of ‘Free’ mats, books, events, express or otherwise they have given us to help mitigate this. It’s not like they have done nothing.

It’s the FOMO attitude that is also prevalent. I’m only 1370 and not that least concerned I am not playing Valtan or not ilvl 2000. This notion of having an Amazon prime, I want it now, I want it before I’ve thought about it mentality is just unrealistic and toxic in some ways.

Seriously consider BDO and tell me is LA worst? Every MMO you have to grind, that’s what an MMO is about. I used to play MMO’s where drop rates for armor sets from raids was <5%, now that’s eye watering. Not to mention getting duplicate pieces that are useless.

I get it honing sucks, anything less than 100% sucks. It is what it is. There other MMOs out there if your not happy. Life is a choice, why keep eating something you don’t like and keep complaining about it?

There are enough idiots at ilvl walking around pretending they are good enough for valtan. They don’t need to make it any easier for more sandbags to get to valtan anytime soon

1 Like

Definitely not a “Valtan ASAP” intention here. First time players absolutely should need to take some time to get there (and I almost certainly would be if I hadn’t hoarded to feed my Destroyer as my intended main) so my biggest issue isn’t so much wanting to hit end game but making the honing process less painful in general, more roster friendly, and more alt friendly (hence especially stronghold buffs, roster bound mats, and ghost ship being character not roster)

Bare in mind the amount of ‘Free’ mats, books, events, express or otherwise they have given us to help mitigate this. It’s not like they have done nothing.

Oh, absolutely, and pushing only a single character they are a great and welcome help. They can also be welcome distractions to the typical daily grinds. But, once you start branching and getting alts, you can very quickly be strapped for mats even when pushing only one at a time. I’d tolerate for now if all they did was buff hitting 1370 (because it needs it, at latest with the next set of dungeons/raids, because even stronghold buffed and hoarding mats that was PAINFULLY SLOW for someone who already hit it before) but a lot of the implementation of the honing system in general feels backwards and unintuitive. I imagine it’d be fair to suggest we all like the events, but there is a part of me wondering if the playerbase would actually be enjoying the game more overall if the honing system didn’t “need” them.

It’s the FOMO attitude that is also prevalent. I’m only 1370 and not that least concerned I am not playing Valtan or not ilvl 2000. This notion of having an Amazon prime, I want it now, I want it before I’ve thought about it mentality is just unrealistic and toxic in some ways.

Been playing since launch. I’m at 900 hours in. I’d like to think I’ve done my due diligence and deserve to not tear my hair out just getting an alt into Argos without spending tens of thousands of gold on the market place. My highest is 1390 (because, again, feeding my destroyer as my intended main) so make no mistake about it, I’m not asking for a hand out.

Seriously consider BDO and tell me is LA worst? Every MMO you have to grind, that’s what an MMO is about. I used to play MMO’s where drop rates for armor sets from raids was <5%, now that’s eye watering. Not to mention getting duplicate pieces that are useless.

Not a good argument. It’s a debate over whether the grind is sensible, fair, and at least tolerable if not actually enjoyable. No game can avoid monotony of repetitive activities if it’s something like an MMORPG, that in fact is part of its draw for many players, and obviously loot based RNG rather than enhancement RNG is its own pros and cons, but there are ways to alleviate bad luck and reward perseverance (and without it feeling like a slap in the face because hitting 100% from fail stacks absolutely feels like “pity” as people refer to it as).

I get it honing sucks, anything less than 100% sucks. It is what it is. There other MMOs out there if your not happy. Life is a choice, why keep eating something you don’t like and keep complaining about it?

Not just a bad but a flat out terrible argument. People make suggestions to improve things they like. If I didn’t like Lost Ark, I’d have left. Again… 900+ hours now. You wouldn’t tell patrons at a restaurant asking for extra salt or pepper or cheese or whatever to just go to another restaurant if they don’t like it, would you? Literally everyone should drop the “Don’t like it, leave” argument because holy mother of fuck is it dishonest as hell.

1 Like

All the more reason you scrubs need me, I’ve solo’d normal and hard final phase Albion and other bosses a few times now across all my characters including a couple berserk timers so I’d like to think I’m not a last effort flood preventer lmao

:joy: :joy: Casual andies and entitled NA :baby: are so cute~

Dafuq does that mean? 900+ hours and woulda been 1415+ if I just kept going on my artillerist instead of hoarding for my destroyer means I’m casual and entitled?

screwball

All of the above. All the way starting from wanting ez mode hone buff to not having enough self awareness to realize how entitled you sound :clown_face: