Lost Ark increasing GPU temps

Hi all,

I am writing because for the past 3-4 weeks now, I’ve been experiencing some very high GPU temps while playing Lost Ark. I’ve been playing since launch and it usually sat at around 50-60c comfortably, but currently, it rises up to 85-90c (peaking at 92c this morning).
I tested my temp after 1 Chaos dungeon run and it was 85c.

I initially suspected hardware failure so I took my PC apart and inspected it and brought it to a technician who also inspected it and everything seemed fine, nothing damage, burnt, non operational, etc. I can run games like League of legends, Valorant, etc maxed out with an average of 55-65c

The only conclusion I could come up with is that LOA is pulling more power from the GPU than it actually needs, I do not know if this is related to Windows (I am on Windows 11) or if it is related to EAC/a patch they introduced.

I noticed many people are experiencing the same issues I am only on Lost Ark and it seems most prevalent with Intel processors.

I am running : GTX 1080TI 11gb / i8700K 3.7ghz

I’ve tried capping FPS to 60, turning Vsync on, switching from borderless to Full screen, lowering all settings to a minimum, capping my fans with Afterburner, max power state processor to 99, uninstall/reinstalling the game, verifying file integrity and installing a new fan for better airflow.

Unfortunately, none of these helped and I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of stuff, has anyone experienced this issue and, if so, were you able to resolve it? How?

Thank you for reading.

Edit : spelling errors

2 Likes

I would suspect dust or airflow issues, I just checked mine been actively running daily items for about 3 hours, running spotify, discord, and chrome. Im holding around 50C on a 3070 Power draw for me is around 35-40%. I am on Windows 10 still.

If it’s a power draw issue I would point the finger at windows 11 or possibly your card failing and it just drawing more power then it actually needs. You could try underclocking your GPU as well but then you’ll take a performance hit.

Keep in mind LoL and Valorant are extremely efficient in performance as well as LOA is on I believe… UE3 which is one of the worst version of UE as far as im aware. So that in itself will lead to higher draws on PCs

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for your reply

There is little to no dust nor anything blocking the airflow, I have heard of undervolting and I believe it would be my next step.

I don’t usually have anything else open while playing lost ark unless it’s a Maxroll guide.

I forgot to mention this in the post : my CPU usage is usually around 30-35% whilst the temps climbs towards 90c.

Edit : spelling errors

I’ll run a chaos dungeon and take a sceenshot of task manager to get a bigger picture of things

Hi @Shoruin.

Hope you’re well :raised_hands:

I’m sorry you’re getting this very high Gpu temperatures while you play Lost Ark, thank you for all this important information that you are providing to us also the steps that you did.

Can you please try this troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting Frame Rate and Performance Issues - Support | Amazon Games

If this doesn’t work we like to take a closer look into this issue with you, when you have a chance, please use the link here to speak with our Customer Service team:

Contact Us | Amazon Games

Please make sure to have the DxDiag ready once you reach support, you can pull it following this steps:

DxDiag report:

Go to Windows Start search bar and type dxdiag.

Click on dxdiag.exe.

When green progress bar goes away, select Save All Information and save the file to their desktop.

Also please make sure you send this link to the agent so we can help you to investigate this issue, also give them all the information needed. And please let me know how was it!

Stay Safe :sunny:

1 Like

Interesting I have the exact opposite, these temps are right after finishing a chaos dungeon. My room also has heated up so the ambient temperature has increased as well. My fans typically run always at around 40% and I max out around 70% when my temps hit around 60C, its possible that adjusting the fans will help, but if you’re maxing the fans and still sitting around 85-90 then something is definitely up.

How old is your card? Alternatively was it bought used? Was it mined with at all? There’s a chance depending on age and usage the thermal paste has gone bad, in which case you’d need to open and reapply thermal paste, which is thankfully cheap, however I’ve personally never re-applied paste on a GPU

1 Like

from what i looked at in the link there is nothing relatively relatable to an over heat issue other than improving fps rates…

@Shoruin My brother had to “forcefully” lower the frequency i was gettting high 80’s to mid 90’s just running the game in a chaos dungeon… so when he lowered it from 3k or high 2.9 to the listed photo i reach as high as low 70’s playing…

1 Like

Hi @jbrian881401.

Thank you for the helpful information you’re sharing.

@Shoruin just to clarify this is a dedicated article included an step specially for overheating.

“Check for evidence of overheating” Last check.

Troubleshooting Frame Rate and Performance Issues - Support | Amazon Games

As I mentionated before if you’re still with this issue, please when you have a chance, please use the link here to speak with our Customer Service team:

Contact Us | Amazon Games

Include please the Dxdiag that I mentioned above and please let me know how was it!

Stay Safe :sunny:

2 Likes

Hello, these are my performances while running 1 chaos dungeon (from game launch)

1 Like

Hello, thank you very much for a quick reply !

Yes, my GPU seems to be overheating while running Lost Ark only, I have read your previous post about dxdiag.exe and I will get on that right away !

1 Like

Hello,

My card was never mined with nor have I ever ‘overclocked’ my PC. I used this PC strictly for studies and occasional gaming with friends (mostly league). This PC was bought brand new in February 2019. We had changed the thermal paste earlier when I went to the computer shop but he had mentioned that it was still good.

I appreciate the help, thank you very much

If you guys pulled the heat sink off the GPU and replaced the thermal paste, kudos to the technician but if the paste has been replaced and you still are having High GPU temps I would wager the GPU is starting to fail, as I can see no other reason for it to pull temps that high. You may want to also double check that when you tell MSI to run the fans at 100% it is actually running it at 100% on the hardware, most GPU’s get very loud and sound like a small turbine at 100% fan speed if there’s little noise the fans are definitely not running full throttle.

Also to just double check you are on the latest Drivers from Nvidia right?

Also another thought, and the main reason I do not have Valorant installed, is their anti cheat actually stopped my fan software from working, so make sure Vanguard is 100% turned off and and your fans are actually working.

2 Likes

Hello,

Yes, I am on the latest driver’s with Nvidia.

When I visited this computer technician, he removed my GPU and added it onto another computer and ‘overloaded’ (I do not know the term) it. The usage was 98% but the peak temp was 77c.

My fans running at 100% is definitely noticeable, they do make noise. I used to have them at 67% before.

I have not yet encountered any issues with Vanguard and my fans but I can confirm that it is turned off when I am playing LOA.

I have contacted support and got a reply very quickly, I have sent them my dxdiag and will wait for a reply.

If nothing, I will visit another technician for a 2nd opinion.

I appreciate the help,
I will provide updates once received.
Thank you all

Hey there Shoruin. Been in voice with Kherune actually talking about this since we are both hardware people.

This test is interesting and not really helpful unless they tested the card with Lost Ark as well. Chances are they just load-tested it with benchmark software.

That test would imply that your fan is operating as expected though. Based on your others games though, it is entirely possible that Lost Ark is just running your card harder than any of the other ones. It is not very efficient in terms of resources. I mean, this is me, standing still in Punika:

And that is on a 3070ti and i7-9700K.

Does anything else in your computer get affected by it? Higher CPU temps, motherboard temps, PSU temps? Lastly, on a bit of a hail mary, what is your PSU?

Another thought: do you know if the test rig he used was open air, or an actual computer? (Just trying to eliminate all causes).

3 Likes

Hi ! I appreciate the reply,

My other temperature remain fairly low, this only started happening about 3-4 weeks ago.
Prior to this, I was running LOA uncapped on max setting with no problems at all.

My power supply is a OCZ ModXstream pro 600W Modular.

The technician fitted my GPU into another computer and it was closed off (with a glass door)

Edit : I wanted to add : LOA does not pull very much from my CPU (unless booting), it does pull a good amount from my memory and GPU, is this normal?

This is what my performances are like when I am idle/watching videos

Edit2 : added picture when idle

Thank you for the reply !

You’re temps are fairly average for idle and other tasks, that’s really interesting actually… Is that with fans at 100%?

2 Likes

Hello,

No these are with my fans at 67%, I only turn them to 100% when playing LOA.

67% fan usage is a bit on the high side for idling IMO… Man I keep coming back to card failure or maybe PSU failure. Electricity makes heat so more power = more heat and if you PSU is over sending or potentially your card is failing so it needs more power per performance it could be asking for more then it should actually need leading to higher temps.

Considering your technician put it in a confirmed good rig and you maxed out at 77c which is hot but acceptable. I’d lean more on your PSU failing and it over volting your GPU. But even that I’m kind of guessing based on the evidence we have.

2 Likes

This may sound odd, and please forgive me (I am not very technical at all)

Could it be that LOA is pulling most of it’s required resources from my GPU and not splitting it amongst my CPU/GPU?

The reason I ask is because, prior to this ‘overheat issue’ happening, when I was running it at Max settings with no problems, I am fairly confident that my CPU usage was much higher (50-60%), now it sits at 35-40% oddly.

Or maybe this could be that I’ve just lowered the settings since I’ve had the problem?

It’s possible and thats how it frankly should be. In absolute simplistic terms the CPU handles everything involving math, be that skill dmg calculations, AI calculations like what moves to do and such etc. The GPU handles well… Literally the graphics the polygons that make up your characters, Terrain, skill effects.

However they are suppose to work in tandem with each other passing information off back and forth. That’s where “bottlenecks” come into play as having a GPU that is slower then the CPU can calculate will lead to performance issues as well as one component working significantly harder then the other which leads to more power which leads to more heat.

I just checked a bottleneck comparison site and you average 4-24% bottle neck, however the CPU is the bottle neck NOT the GPU meaning at least on your rig your CPU should be working harder. It is possible that the GPU is trying to compensate for the CPU in LOA and that is leading to the higher temps. But at this point I’m just shooting in the dark hoping I hit something.

2 Likes